Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sweet Potato Wedges: Elevated Southern Cuisine


Once upon a time I called Meredith to ask her how she makes her sweet potato wedges. Let me re-iterate: this is her recipe, not mine! But she insisted that I post it and, since I have a great picture of them anyway, I will succumb to the demands of my adoring public :)

One sweet potato will make enough fries/wedges/whatever for one person... so if you're making them for five people, use five potatoes. Two people, two potatoes, etc... Entiendes? Bueno.

This is the simplest recipe of your life. And the most delicious. And super healthy (because sweet potatoes are so nutritious!). And super cheap (because sweet potatoes are something like $0.50/lb right now!).

Ingredients:

- 2 sweet potatoes (for two people)

- Olive oil

- Chili powder

- Ground cumin

- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

- Italian flat leaf parsely, chopped

- Yep, that's all. Nothing else.

Directions:

- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and position a rack close to the top. We're going to get these little guys nice and hot and crispy.

- Cut up your sweet potato. I wish I could tell you how I did it but, truth be told, I'm a little erratic with a knife. There is no rhyme or reason to my cutting skills. All I know is that I cut the potatoes' "little hiney off" like Meredith instructed me to. Then somehow I cut them to look like what you see above. You'll figure it out. I have faith.

- Take a large baking sheet and line it with parchment paper. I do this to help my sweet hubby with some of the clean up. I know I know. I'm so thoughtuful. Put your potatoes on there, drizzle some olive oil over it, sprinkle them generously with salt, pepper, chili powder, and cumin. Mix it all around.

- Bake for about 30 minutes, stirring them once half-way though. Keep an eye on these beauties to make sure they don't over cook. We want them nice and roasted and crispy, but not burned.

- Sprinkle the parsely over them to give the elegant, fancy-pants effect you see above.


It's so good, y'all. The cumin, chili powder, and parsely really gives it a little something different than the typical sweet potato fries all you good Southern lads and lassies are used to. In fact, I'm going to make them again tomorrow night!

1 comment: