Tuesday, May 24, 2011

PHENOMENAL turkey burgers with blue cheese and caramelized onions


I know I know, I use the word "phenomenal" like it's going out of style, and my friends will tell you that- but really I only use it when something truly is PHENOMENAL! And these turkey burgers are- my hubby, who normally pokes fun at my thing for turkey burgers, LOVED them.  I originally saw this recipe in my new Food Network magazine, so that was my inspiration. I've adapted it so I have the adapted recipe here:


Ingredients:
  • 1 pkg ground turkey
  • 2 portobello mushrooms caps
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • a couple generous dashes of worcestershire
  • good pinch salt
  • some pepper
  • a couple dashes of onion powder
  • couple dashes of garlic powder
Toppings:
  • caramelized onions (see recipe under "delectable pan sauce")
  • blue cheese
  • lettuce, tomato, and the other usual suspects (but note: mustard and blue cheese don't mix well unless you're cra-cra- that's short for crazy.)
Directions:
  • dice up your portobello mushroom caps (after you've taken a damp paper towel and rubbed the dirt off of them)
  • heat up about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat
  • add your diced mushrooms and let them sautee (adding a good pinch of salt) for about 5 minutes, until they are golden brown in color.  then add your garlic and sautee for a couple more minutes
  • stick them in a bowl once they're done
 
don't freak out on me if you don't like mushrooms.  they add SUCH a rich flavor and "meatiness" (a word that is WAY over used in my opinion but there you have it) to the turkey burgers.  trust me
  • once the mushrooms have slightly cooled, add your turkey and the rest of your ingredients
  • call your husband in to do the gross part of mixing the meat with his bare hands (love you, honey)
  • grill them up  and at the very end, add your blue cheese.  top with your toppings and ENJOY these delectable turkey burgers.  
 those aren't both mine.....
ok yes they are.

***note: I served these with Kate's sweet potato wedges and some fresh grilled corn.  seriously, it was a HOME RUN.

1 comment:

  1. Omigosh, I'm literally drooling. lol I'm going to make these next week...if I had all the ingredients I'm pretty sure I'd make one right now! hahaha

    ReplyDelete