Friday, May 20, 2011

it's all because of sara welch

...that I love orzo so much!!!  She made this INCREDIBLE roasted shrimp and orzo last week (see recipe here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-shrimp-and-orzo-recipe/index.html) and it has had me craving orzo since.  it's simple, it's delicious, and it's LIGHT.  So since I was craving orzo, I decided I would make yet another Barefoot Contessa recipe that Sara turned me on to, and it is her Orzo with Roasted Vegetables.  Real simple, and REAL delectable- I've never had one complaint.  I'm not gonna lie, when Sara made this last Easter and told me how good it was, I thought "I'm not convinced...it's just some roasted vegetables with orzo, right?" WRONG. the basil, the feta, the lemon viniagrette, the scallions....it all works together to make this INCREDIBLE dish that can be served as a side dish or a main dish (I served it with leftover chicken noodle soup and we were quite satisfied).  You need this in your life, people.

Here we go.
roast your vegetables

cook a packet of orzo (thank you for supplying my orzo, Camille!) according to the package and drain it into a large bowl
mix in your roasted vegetables with your orzo. let cool (I stuck it in the freezer to expedite the cooling process because I needed this goodness in my body ASAP)

go take the clothes off all of your basil, dice up some feta, and add it to your cooled orzo mix (I would have added scallions here but I didn't add any.  Her recipe also calls for pine nuts but they're expensive so I don't ever add them)
I interrupt this important new story to ask WHY AM I ADDICTED TO SALT AND VINEGAR CHIPS??? ok back to the recipe.

delectable. simple delectable.

you didn't think I was going to leave you out to dry and not give you the ACTUAL recipe did you?  

Ingredients:

  • 1 small eggplant, peeled and 3/4-inch diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, 1-inch diced
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, 1-inch diced
  • 1 red onion, peeled and 1-inch diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/3 cup good olive oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 pound orzo 
Dressing:
  • 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
  • 1/3 cup good olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt (add more as needed once everything is mixed together)
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 
Assembly:
  • 4 scallions, minced (white and green parts)
  • 1/4 cup pignolis (pine nuts), toasted
  • 3/4 pound good feta, 1/2-inch diced (not crumbled)
  • 15 fresh basil leaves, cut into julienne
Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

  • Toss the eggplant, bell peppers, onion, and garlic with the olive oil, salt, and pepper on a large sheet pan. Roast for 40 minutes, until browned, turning once with a spatula.

  • Meanwhile, cook the orzo in boiling salted water for 7 to 9 minutes, until tender. Drain and transfer to a large serving bowl. Add the roasted vegetables to the pasta, scraping all the liquid and seasonings from the roasting pan into the pasta bowl.

  • For the dressing, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper and pour on the pasta and vegetables while it's still warm. Let cool to room temperature, then add the scallions, pignolis, feta, and basil. Check the seasonings, and serve at room temperature.

This recipe stays good for at least a week and makes FABULOUS leftovers- it's worthier than being stuck in the "leftovers" category.  Thank you Sara, for introducing me to orzo and all of the delectable things you can do with it, and thank you, Ina Garten for your amazing recipes.  We adore you.  We'd like to come to your house for Thanksgiving, ok?  See you then. 




5 comments:

  1. Anthony requested this dish for his birthday dinner. It's one of our faves. Instead of pine nuts, I sub chopped hazelnuts (surprise surprise)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dish is AMAZING!! I was lucky enough to get some that Meredith made...mmm sooooo good! I made it tonight but since I didn't want to go to the grocery store I improvised a bit by using cut of asparagus, onions, and peas and it was delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so honored! Awe! Thanks for the shout out boo! That dish really is incredible! I mean it just speaks for itself. And now you have me craving a bag of salt and vinegar chips to go with my lunch! HEHE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you love orzo, you must try this orzo salad: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/orzo-salad-with-spicy-dressing-50400000112006/
    I found it in my Cooking Light magazine and made it last night. Y-U-M! It has a little Mexican feel with the chili/lime/cilanto combo so I think you'll go crazy for it.
    P.S. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, this is a recipe I use all the time from the spouse cookbook! Love it!

    ReplyDelete