Sunday, May 1, 2011

Real Food.


This weekend I played in a charity tennis tournament supporting Spaulding for Children, the foster care and adoption agency that I have been interning with this year. (It’s an amazing organization! Click here for the link). In between matches I had a conversation with a girl who is as much of a health nut as I am. She was telling me all about how she has changed her diet and is now eating only “real food”… fresh, local ingredients without any preservatives or artificial crap. Whole grains, fruits, veggies, etc. etc…. Well, I was a little inspired, and tucked this conversation away in my mind until after I finished playing the 120 tennis games over the course of two days. Let me just say, I can’t move my body. Every muscle I have hurts. It’s that weird kind of pain though… the kind that actually feels good.

I’m so excited to have rediscovered tennis and can’t wait to keep playing and actually exercising for once in my life. When I came home today, I was all excited about jump-starting my new health and exercise regiment, so I went to Kroger and bought some veggies… but not just any vegetables, mind you! I bought a jumbo sweet onion, baby portabella mushrooms, and one bunch of fresh spinach: all things that Anthony hates. He eats dinner with his youth group on Sunday nights and hey, I have to take advantage of the situation and cook them when I can :) I sautéed these beautiful ingredients in some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, starting with the onion until it was nice and soft, then adding the mushrooms until they were cooked through, and finally adding the spinach right at the end so it just barely wilted. Isn’t that a lovely picture?

Now was this meal fresh and delicious and did it make me feel good about my dietary choices? Yes. Was it very difficult to make? No. Was it so incredibly simple that you could you have thought of it on your own without reading this blog? Yes, but I like sharing my life with you through the food I eat, so I put it on here anyway.

Did I swiftly ruin my good dietary choices by eating three cookies afterwards? Uhh… yeah… maybe.

2 comments:

  1. BAHHH HAHAHAHA!! sounds like a classic mere moment. but this looks YUMMY!! i wouldn't have thought to add balsamic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You played 120 GAMES OF TENNIS IN TWO DAYS?! Oh my gosh! Who was your partner? You must have been winning to play so much, right?

    And also- the dish looks delish! ;)

    ReplyDelete