Wednesday, May 18, 2011

delectable pan sauce

Don't hate on me for not posting pics- here's the deal: often times in the kitchen i'm flying by the seat of my pants and i think "this might not turn out" so thus, i don't take pictures along the way.  I know, I know, it's no excuse to not take pictures of the final product, but i didn't. so sue me. HOWEVER, I DO want to discuss this most delicious pan sauce I made last night.  boy oh boy was it amazing.

So, I caramelized some onions (get some olive oil in a skillet, slice your onions thin, then toss them in with the skillet on high heat.  add a big pinch of salt and some fresh thyme, if you've got some)  turn the heat to medium-low and stir occasionally until the onions are WAY cooked down- like, deep golden in color and super slinky)

Then I put the onions on a plate, turn the heat back up, add some olive oil, and add some chicken that I've pounded thin and seasoned with S &P.  sear it on both sides, then stick it on a plate and let it hang out.

Now, with that pan nice and hot with lots of goody brown bits at the bottom, deglaze it with some white wine (i keep cooking wine because we don't always have white wine- it's not a "staple" as my husband says.  I beg to differ but that's for another discussion).  let this wine reduce a little bit, season it with salt and a touch of pepper.  you can also add a sprig of thyme if you've got it.

I also added some chicken stock, then I added the chicken and caramelized onions back to the skillet to continue cooking in this DELICIOUS liquid.  I boiled some rigatoni, added it to the pan, let them get soaked in the pan sauce, and served the chicken with the caramelized on top, rigatoni on the side, and sauteed some spinach for me green.

I know you can't see a picture, but trust me when i tell you it was incredible.  scott said how good it was three times- that's big, people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment