Saturday, May 28, 2011

RIP, Basil.


Goodbye, little basil plant. I am not sad to see you go. I paid $4 for you and only got one decent harvest before you shriveled into this pathetic heap of self pity. That's ridiculous. I can get a bunch of fresh basil from Kroger for $3. It would have been worth it if you were as beautiful and healthy as my neighbor's basil plant. You always looked so puny in comparison and I felt ashamed. Come on, I only over-watered you once! Did you really have to react like this? Tomorrow I will pull you up by your roots and throw you away. I will replace you with something that is more appreciative of all my tender love and care, something that can handle my shady, humid, scorching-hot, urban garden. Like a cactus.


Hold on, little parsley plant! Don't give up yet! I'm so sorry for the over-watering. Ina Garten told me that the more I cut you, the more you will grow. Those few little leaves popping up since I followed her advice are giving me hope. I don't know if you were worth the $4 investment, either, though. For $0.50 I can get a big bunch of beautiful organic flat leaf parsley that lasts all week. I haven't even had one harvest out of you. If you don't get your act together, you may meet the same fate as the basil. Yes, that is a threat.

3 comments:

  1. Now that I've figured out how to post, I may go back and post some comments I wanted to make earlier. Thanks! I love your blog, and am making my own vegetable stock right now.

    ReplyDelete