Monday, May 23, 2011

Pasta Heaven

Lately I have been on a pasta kick. I can’t get enough. I crave it every day.

Could I be pregnant?

Haha just kidding. I’m not. Promise!

But I have been craving pasta and have been making LOTS of it. Last week I made this asian-inspired pasta… twice. It’s from www.eatingwell.com (which I am currently obsessed with) and I highly recommend the recipe. Here’s a lovely picture.



As a little added love-bonus, I added some chicken for my darling carnivore of a husband. I sliced a chicken breast into thin diagonal strips, marinated it in all the same flavors found in the pasta (soy sauce, lime, garlic, ginger), then sautéed it until cooked though.

Tonight I made a masterpiece. Not kidding, it belongs in a museum. Fennel-Leek-Sausage (optional) Pasta with Meredith’s Homemade Marinara Sauce.

Blast! How do I not have a picture? I forgot to take one, sorry!

You’re just going to have to trust me and use your imagination.

Make Meredith’s marinara sauce. You won’t be sorry. The recipe can be found under her entry entitled “Lasagna” that she put up in March. I didn’t have basil… because my basil plant hates me… So I used every other herb in my garden and it turned out splendidly.

(Side note: Did you know that you can use your fennel fronds as a fresh herb? It has a lovely, new, unfamiliar flavor that I just love. I added it to the pasta just before serving, and the freshness really gives the pasta an elevated dimension.)


This is fennel. If you aren't familiar with it, because it is kind of obscure, you should be! Try it! It's so good. And see those fluffy little ends on top? Those are the fronds. Use them as a garnish, in place or in additon to fresh herbs, to enhance that wonderful fennel flavor.

(Second side note: This is turning out to be a ridiculously long post. I’ll stop now and talk about the other stuff that I’m dying to tell you another day.)

Recipe: Roast some fennel and leeks in the oven (with the usual suspects: olive oil, salt, and pepper) at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep them from burning. Combine with cooked whole wheat pasta and the marinara sauce… and some sausage for your darling carnivore of a husband :) Then die of happiness because you have been given the gift of this exquisite culinary experience.

1 comment:

  1. i am currently making this asian inspired dish right now. i'm doing this: replacing the pasta with rice noodles, and marinating strips of pork in the marinade, then going to cook it on HIGH heat all together (yes- the marinade that the meat is in and everything- the salmonella will cook out I think. I saw that on Pioneer Woman so it must be true.)

    if I get salmonella I'll let you know, but I think I'll be fine. looking forward to this!!!

    ReplyDelete