Sunday, June 26, 2011

Pistou Basil


 Poor little neglected food blog.

Meredith and I have been out of town intermittently these past few weeks and haven't been doing a great job of keeping up with our posts.

Sorry, readers!

Today I would like to tell you about a marvelous discovery I have made.

Pistou Basil.

Remember how once upon a time I made a disastrous attempt to grow basil? Remember how, after one harvest of leaves and a desperate attempt to bring it back to life by over-watering, it looked like this:



Well, after that disaster, I vowed never to grow basil again. I vowed to replace that traitorous herb with something more be-fitting of my shady plot of sand I call a garden.

But then I went to the PPK (the Pretty People Kroger... called such because it is located in a ritzy neighborhood full of rich, beautiful people). I was seduced by the shelves of exotic herbs enticing me with their unfamiliar names and the promise of new life. I couldn't help myself.

Instead of buying a cactus that surely could survive the treacheries of heat, inadequate sun, and the gusts of harsh air from our yard man's terrifically powerful leaf-blower, I bought "pistou basil", a delicate looking plant that Wikipedia calls a variety of the traditional basil plant characterized by smaller leaves and a milder flavor.

While I stood in line at the check-out counter, I was hoping and praying that if I planted it, all my dreams of being able to make bruchetta, marinara sauce, and pesto with my very own home-grown basil might not just be fantasy, they might not just be a distant dream... they might not be lost with the death of the Pistou's evil predecessor.

And I was right.

Look how beautiful that plant is! It has grown more vigorously than I possibly could have anticipated! In fact, it has outgrown it's original pot. Tomorrow I will buy it a big, beautiful, elaborately decorated pot in celebration of its ability to withstand all the hardships thrust upon it by this less-than-capable gardener.

People of the world, take heart! You, too, can grow pistou basil and be rid all the worry and anxiety caused by its traditional counterpart.

1 comment: