Tuesday, June 7, 2011

mojito cake-tails


Oh boy, Oh  boy is this recipe delish.  This is a recipe I've had in my massive recipe binder for a couple of years and haven't gotten around to trying it yet (ie- I'm not taking any credit for this recipe- it's from a magazie I just don't know which one).  As many of you know, I have about 12 people coming into town to celebrate Scott's graduation from pilot training (love you, babe!).  In light of the latin-esque meal we will be having on Thursday night, I wanted to try a new recipe for dessert (I feel like no one ever knows what to do for dessert after eating something Latin inspired except flan) so I did a trial run on this recipe that I've been wanting to try FOREVER, these little beauties called "mojito cake-tails" (get it- instead of "cocktails?").  Mojitos are my absolute FAVORITE drink so I knew it'd be a hit.  I just tried one and WHOA are they yum. Here goes:

Ingredients:
  • 2 sticks (8 oz.) butter
  • 3 cups salted pretzels, finely crushed
  • 1 cup plus 6 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 8 oz packages of cream cheese, softened
  • zest of 3 limes, plus 1/2 cup lime juice (3 limes did the trick for the lime juice- just zest them before you cut them to juice them!)
  • 2 tablespoons white rum (optional)
  • 3 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh mint, plus sprigs for garnish (about 6 sprigs of mint- don't go light on the stuff, it makes a difference!)
  • 2 cups heavy creaam
Directions:
  • In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium-low heat.  Stir on pretzels and 2 tablespoons of sugar and cook until lightly toasted, about 3 minutes.
  • Transfer to a bowl to cool slightly.  Press about 2 tablespoons into the bottom of each cup of a muffin pan and freeze for 30 minutes (I am just now seeing this part of the instructions....maybe that's why my pretzel crust didn't stick so well...oh well, it was still delectable.)
  • Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese on medium speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl, until fluffy, 2-3 minutes.  Mix in the remaining 1 1/4 cups sugar on low speed, then gradually mix in the lime zest, lime juice, and chopped mint
  • try your batter....just because.  it's so stinkin' good!
  • in a separate bowl, beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
  • fold into the cream cheese mixture
  • divide the cream cheese mixtures evenly among the muffin cups, smooth the tops.
  • cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 8 hours or over night (woopsie...forgot to cover with plastic wrap!)
  • to serve, run a wet knife around each cake
so mine's not as pretty as the magazine's- who cares?

clearly, not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment