Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A Seasonal Tirade Inspired by Pears

Ever since I became interested in cooking, I have heard food people ranting and raving about using seasonal produce. What does that mean? Well, eating seasonal produce means only eating fruits and vegetables that are harvested at their peak. Not all food is at its best at all times of the year. Asparagus in the spring. Peaches and watermelon in the summer. Squash in the fall. Citrus in the winter.

Without fully understanding why, I went along with it. Eat what's in season. I figured it was because I didn't want to eat fruit and vegetables shipped from way across the ocean. Seems like a good idea, right? Shipping from way across the ocean means a lot of fuel was used to get it to the U.S., which means lots of bad stuff was emitted into the atmosphere during the journey, which means that Mother Earth is sad :(

Well, that is certainly one good reason to eat seasonally.

Another is that produce out of season is EXPENSIVE.

Yet another is that produce out of season is YUCKY.

Seriously, go to your grocery store and look at the asparagus right now. It is seriously wimpy. And seriously too expensive for one puny little bunch of asparagus. No no no.

Go to your grocery store and look at the PEARS right now. Oh my heavens. My PPK is literally overflowing with gorgeous, ripe, winter Anjou pears. They have so many that they are practically giving them away.

Last night I sliced up two winter Anjou pears, two small granny smith apples, put them in a bowl, and drizzled a tiny bit of tangerine oil over them. My husband raved and raved about this amazing salad that I made.

It wasn't me. I did nothing. I sliced and drizzled. The juicy perfection of the seasonal produce needed no help to shine.

Lesson learned. Use seasonal produce, people will think I'm an awesome cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment