Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sweet Potato Bisque


In the name of contributing some simpler recipes to this blog, I must share with you this incredible soup I made last week. Sweet potato bisque.

It's creamy, delicious, and beautiful due to its lovely silky orange color.

Did you know that sweet potatoes are a super food? That means that they are packed full of lots of incredible vitamins that do your body lots of incredible good.

I adapted it from this recipe, courtesy of Pat and Gina Neely, who hail from my college town of Memphis, Tennessee. Whoop whoop!

I followed their recipe exactly, except for these three changes:

1. I sauteed my garlic, onions, and ginger in olive oil, not butter.
2. At the end, I stirred in 3/4 cup of plain yogurt, not heavy cream.
3. I topped it with crispy, crunchy, breadcrumbs. You can buy some. Or you can make your own. Here's my recipe.

In my humble opinion, there is just absolutely no reason that you need to use butter and heavy cream when you can use olive oil and yogurt. It's just as delicious and much much better for you. Use the healthy stuff when you make dinner. Save the butter and heavy cream for when they are truly necessary, like in desserts.

Cause if you're going to eat dessert, there should be no holding back. In my humble opinion.

Go make this soup. It's yummy. It's healthy. And it's cheap. Check check check.

No comments:

Post a Comment