Saturday, February 4, 2012

Cooking Therapy

This has been a really tough week at work. I'm usually pretty good about leaving my emotions at the office after a really long day, but sometimes being a social worker just isn't that easy! It certainly wasn't easy this week.

There are a few important concepts that you learn about in social work grad school: "Compassion Fatigue" describes a state of emotional exhaustion related to your work caring for others. "Self Care" is an important practice that you implement in order to prevent compassion fatigue. This week I was feeling some serious compassion fatigue and in dire need of self care.

I had this amazing professor in grad school who taught me about the importance of taking care of myself, about how I am actually a better social worker/wife/daughter/sister/friend when I am not neglecting my needs. In her book "The Gifts of Imperfection" she talks about the importance of cultivating creativity as a way to feed our souls.

"Creativity, which is the expression of our originality, helps us stay mindful that what we bring to the world is completely original and cannot be compared" (Brene Brown, pg. 97).

Talking to Meredith on the phone as I drove home from work, I told her that I was going to give myself a little "cooking therapy" in order to help work through the craziness of the week. Cooking is one way I express my creativity, and thus feed my soul. It's a therapeutic process: when I'm cooking, I go into a zone and block the rest of the world out. I'm so consumed with the combination of flavors, textures, and colors, with the creation of something new, beautiful, and good, that the cares of the day melt away and I feel restored.

Tonight I spent close to 2.5 hours making a pear and goat cheese tart. It was good and my heart is happy.

Creativity can take many forms: art, music, crafts, photography, blogging.... we all have different gifts and passions. Find yours and discover the gift of creating.

(I highly encourage anyone who is interested to look up Brene Brown and further investigate her work by clicking on the above links.)

No comments:

Post a Comment