Friday, April 8, 2011

A Little Morsel of Heaven

isn't she a beaut?


Everyone needs a go-to, satisfyingly delicious, make 'em weep, chocolate chip cookie recipe, right?  Right.  I have about a million saved to food apps on my phone, in my recipe books, on online food sites I belong to, etc.  Basically, I've been searching for the perfect chocolate chip cookie for a long time.  I take it very seriously. (I'm also searching for the perfect go-to healthy muffin but as all of my friends in Columbus can tell you, it's still a work in progress) The first time I made these, I sent them into the squadron with Scott and I had MEN asking me for the recipe saying they were better than their mama's. So, ladies and you few gentlemen, I give to you the. BEST. chocolate chip cookies. EVER.


Ingredients
  • 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) SALTED butter (I know ya'll think I'm crazy), softened (muy importante)
    • side note- you could also sub this with crisco or go halfsies with crisco and butter which makes a RIDICULOUSLY good cookie)
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups brown sugar (light/dark whatever ya got)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 TABLESPOON vanilla (thanks to my mom giving me a mason jar full of  homemade vanilla I won't be running out for a loonnggg time.  Thanks, mom!)
  • 1 12 oz package (or 2 cups) of chocolate chips.  
    • Can I say something here?  Buy the good stuff.  I promise it makes a difference to buy real Hershey's chocolate chips or ghirardelli (whatever is cheaper, let's be honest) as opposed to the Kroger brand because that chocolate just isn't good- sure it melts fine, BUT YOU CAN TASTE A DIFFERENCE, and if you're gonna make these chocolate chip cookies, they need to be done right.
  • You can also add some heath bits at this point and sprinkle the cookies with sea salt just before popping them in the oven.  I learned this from my dear friend Sara who made some DELECTABLE salted toffee cookies the other weekend (i had like 4)
Directions
  • Heat oven to 375.  Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda in a medium bowl.  Set aside.
  • Combine butter, sugar and brown sugar in a mixer with the paddle attachment, or a large bowl and use your hand mixer.  Just get 'em creamin'.  Beat at a medium speed, SCRAPING THE BOWL OFTEN, until creamy.  
  • Add eggs and vanilla and continue to mix, scraping down the bowl to make sure everything is incorporating
  • Reduce speed to low add the flour mixture slowly, until well mixed.
  • With the speed on low, add your bag of chocolate chips (and toffee bits if using)
  • I use an ice cream scooper for my cookies to be the same size, but however you do it, get those puppies into balls and pop them onto some baking sheets.
  • Bake for 10-14 minutes (I bake them for about 12- they will still look undone but you must remember, they will continue to bake a bit on the hot cookie sheet once they're out of the oven.  If you don't like them gooey, don't take my advice, and suffer the consequences of a hard cookie.  just sayin)
makes...a lot.

ps: this recipe is from Land O' Lakes salted butter package

4 comments:

  1. oh yes. everyone needs that. so glad to have it in my repetoire. (is that how you spell that?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout out and for making me really crave a cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg...I want a cookie right now!! :)

    ReplyDelete