Thursday, April 28, 2011

Grilled Flank Steak with Chimmichurri Sauce

Let me just state that as I write this all hell is breaking loose around me- the world is apparently coming to an end according to the weather man I'm listening to.  There are tornadoes in surrounding cities and hail coming our way. Ok, Ok.  I get that it's dangerous- but he's just killin' me.  So, where's my "tornado safe place" as the weather man calls it?  At my computer, thinking about food, and yes, right next to a window.  Don't worry, I'll move if I hear sirens.  All that aside, my dinner last night was delicious and I want to share it with you.  I didn't take step by step pictures because I was flying by the seat of my pants and didn't know it would turn out as well as it did...but boyyyy did it.  I kept it light (we don't do beef a lot in this house but recently I am a HUGE fan of flank steak so when we do steak I serve it with something light....like my Roasted Corn and Black Bean "salad" if you will)
(i'd like to apologize for the terrible quality that is not doing the deliciousness of the food justice- i accidentally loaded it onto my computer before sending it through "instagram" and then after it was loaded, it deleted off of my phone so there was no hope.  I promise the side dish is more succulent than it looks!! and ok...i might have added too much oil but it did NOT taste oily and I ate around it...my heart thanked me)




Ingredients
  • 1 package of flank steak
  • 1 bunch of cilantro
  • 1 handful of flat leaf parsley
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic depending on how large they are
  • canola oil
  • salt- a good pinch
I didn't do anything with the steak except sprinkle some grill seasonings on both sides, rubbed it in a little bit, and threw it on a hot grill.  Flank steak doesn't take too long too cook- I'd say check it after 4 minutes per side- it should be brown and deliciously seared.  obviously it depends on how well you like your steak done, but i think 4-5 minutes per side is lovely.  When it's done, please let it rest for AT LEAST 15 minutes! This allows the juices to redistribute throughout the steak so when you cut it, the juices don't run everywhere- which dries the steak out, and NOBODY wants a chewy, dried-out steak!

Ok, chimmichurri sauce: toss everything except the oil (stems of the herbs are ok to include!) into a food processor (if you don't have one, you can certainly use a blender- i'd just chop up the garlic slightly before tossing it in).  give it a whirl and then slowly stream in the canola oil- enough until it looks wet- not too wet and saucy, but wet.  you'll know when this happens.  taste for seasonings and if you need more salt, add it.

note: kate, I know anthony doesn't love cilantro- but he won't even recognize it.  remember when you came to visit me in puerto rico and we went to that restaurant "raices" and ate mofongo?  do you remember the green sauce that came with it?  THAT is what this tastes like.  I made it and didn't even realize it until scott pointed it out.  The fact that he compared it to one of our favorite Puerto Rican restaurants rocked my world!


Ingredients for Roasted Corn and Black Bean salsa/salad/side dish thing
  • 1 avocado, diced (it makes it...truly)
  • 2 limes
  • canola oil (meh, maybe 1/3 cup?)
  • salt and peppa
  • 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 3 ears of corn
  • cilantro- maybe 1-2 tablespoons (but you can never have too much)
  • 1 chopped tomatoes (whatever kind you like)
  • *I would have added some red onion but I didn't have any
  • *mexican COTIJA cheese (the crumbly stuff) would also be delicious in here
Directions
  • char your corn on the grill when you throw the steak on- it took a goooodddd 15-20 minutes but we were also dealing with wind that kept blowing the flame out so who knows how long it will take you
  • while your corn is grilling, juice both of your limes into a medium size bowl.  add a pinch of salt.
  • gently stream your canola oil into your lime juice, whisking it as you pour.  taste for seasonings.
  • add your cilantro, black beans, tomatoes, avocado, red onion (if using) and your corn. mix all together
  • *note: here's the way I cut my corn off the cob.  Ya know that hole in the middle of your cake bundt pan?  I stick the ear on top of that to hold it steady, then I slice around with a knife and the corn has a place to fall- in the bundt pan!  It's marvelous.
  • add your cheese (if using) at the end.  Yes, this could be used as a dip with tortilla chips, but it is a delicious, light and healthy side item, as well!
This is the perfect late spring/summer dish!  Enjoy!

ps: I wrote this yesterday- and then lost power and internet RIGHT before I posted it, and as a matter of fact, all hell did break loose- only it didn't break loose here in Columbus, it broke loose in Tuscaloosa.  Please pray, friends.  It is utterly devastating.  I didn't mean to take light of the situation in my above statement I'm just giving you background for what was happening yesterday- but today is a new day, and unfortunately, it's an incredibly sad day for Tuscaloosa and other cities that were devastated by these tornadoes.  sorry for my little PSA, here.  go make this dinner and enjoy- on a more positive note!

No comments:

Post a Comment