Friday, April 1, 2011

Dear Natalie Maines:


As a follow up to Meredith's last post I have to let the world know that this sweet potato and black bean chili (courtesy of eatingwell.com) is truely inspirational. I have made it dozens of times since I discovered it because it is Anthony's favorite. He asks for it all the time. It accomplishes all of our goals: delicious, healthy, and cheap. I can make a double batch for about $12 and it feeds us all week long, no joke. Because my carniverous husband is convinced that he cannot be full without meat, I usually add a pound of lean ground turkey. A word to the wise: if you do this you have to season the patootie out it; I throw in some garlic, onion, and the same spices I put in the chili. (For the full recipe, see the post below).

So one night I was making the chili with the Dixie Chicks serenading me from my computer. I was dancing around and having a grand 'ole time when all of a sudden I got really really sad. In response, I wrote this letter to Natalie Maines:


Natalie,

My name is Kate and I am a 23 year old, Obama-loving, tattooed, sorority Texas girl living in Houston. I started listening to the Dixie Chicks from their beginning. In fact, going to your Fly concert in the 7th grade wearing my pink tank top and zebra-striped pants is one of my favorite adolescent memories. I’m currently standing in the kitchen making my famous sweet potato and black bean chili with my iTunes blaring and I have to say:

I miss your music.

The Dixie Chicks gave a voice to women like me, even after the whole Bush debacle. I loved your music before and I loved it even more afterwards. I’m in my last semester of graduate school and wanted to share an article with you that one of my professors wrote.

http://www.brenebrown.com/voice-lessons-from-the-dixie-c/

I hope that your hiatus from music has been restorative and that you have been able to find peace. If a permanent break from the music industry is what is in your best interest, then I am fully supportive and wish you the best. If there is any doubt in your mind, however, please hear that you still have an audience that dearly misses you and your unique contribution to music. While we anxiously await your return we’ll keep dancing in the kitchen and singing “Not Ready to Make Nice” at the top of our lungs.

Blessings,

Kate Orona



Watch out: this chili is magical and makes you do crazy things... like make you write overly-emotional letters to famous musicians that you've never met...

1 comment:

  1. im on mommy's username but it's me. i am obsessed with you!! on to read the article now..

    ReplyDelete