Thursday, March 8, 2012

Sweet Potato and Pork Chili

Friends,

 Greetings from Kate's bed, where we are both currently sitting working on this poor, forgotten blog! 

I'll cut straight to the chase, because who has the time and desire to sit and read all the other fluffy stuff?  You're here for the rood, am I right?  

Ok, but real quick: YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS CHILI.  It's probably one of the best chilis I've ever had in my life- and that pork- don't even get me started on the tenderness of that pork.  Just promise me you'll make it.  It's healthy, AND it has meat, if your husband is a meat-loving man, like mine is. 

Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
  • 1 medium chopped carrot
  • 2 celery stalks
  • 3-5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
  • 3/4 pound boneless, center-cut pork loin, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2/3 cups veg/chicken stock
  • 1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes 
  • 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, diced
  • 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
  • 1 15 ounce can navy beans, drained and rinsed (Kate and I have decided to use black beans instead)
  • chopped fresh cilantro, for cooking and serving
  • chopped purple onion, soaked in ice water for 10 mins (takes the bite out), for serving
  • greek yogurt/sour cream, for serving
  • avocado, for serving
  • limes, for serving
Directions
  • Heat oil in a large pot over medium-low heat.
  • Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and sweet potato; cook 8-10 minutes, until tender
  • Season the pork with salt and pepper; add meat to the pot and cook until browned; stirring frequently, about 5 minutes
  • Mix in the chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder, oregano, and cinnamon.  Cook 2 more minutes
  • Add stock, tomatoes, chipotle pepper, and adobo sauce
  • Stir, then bring to a boil
  • Reduce the heat to low and cover pot and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour
  • Stir in the beans and cilantro (save some to top with!) and cook until heated through
I topped my chili with avocado, purple onion, greek yogurt, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime and I literally was the happiest woman on the planet.  The boys who I cooked it for would not stop raving about it- and for those two, that's a pretty big deal.  Here's a pic:

Right next to the bowl of soup/chili is Kristi's beer bread, which is FABULOUS!  

For our novice chefs, don't be intimidated by this recipe.  If you don't have all the ingredients, wait to make it at your mom's house, who probably has all the ingredients (eh hem, Robin and Mal). 

Go forth and MAKE THIS CHILI!! Before it gets too hot outside!

This recipe is not an original.  It was taken from a health magazine I found at the gym- maybe Women's Health?  Either way, NOT an original- I wish I had come up with this, though!

2 comments:

  1. Did you skip class just to write this post? Kidding, obviously! This sounds really good! I've always been nervous about cooking mean but the pork sounds pretty easy. I need to add this to my list! Miss ya Panda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cooking MEAT***

    ReplyDelete