Sunday, November 6, 2011

here's what I've learned

....since this blog is supposed to be dedicated to life lessons, as well.

When it comes to baking (my secondary skill to cooking although this lesson CERTAINLY applies to some of my cooking), it normally takes me at least 2 times to make something before I have perfected it.  I should remember this before I make NEW desserts when going to someone's house!!!  This is NOT the first time it has happened.  I need to stick with making a dessert that is FOOL proof and is always delicious.  Where is this coming from?  Oh I'll tell you.  I am making Salted Caramel Shortbread and I was doing an EXCELLENT job of keeping an eye on the caramel, stirring it constantly (because if you'll remember back to a couple months ago, I didn't do that on my several attempts to make that Wolfgang Puck caramel and it ended up black as asphalt in the sink) yet STILL- there are suddenly brown specks I see in my beautiful caramel.  That dadgom sugar had "crystalized" (so I'm calling it) at the bottom of the pot because I didn't incorporate the ingredients properly before putting it over the heat.  So, now I've got a lovely caramel with a slight burned flavor because of those minor burned pieces.  Fabulous.

Ya live and learn, people, ya live and learn.

M

No comments:

Post a Comment