Saturday, November 19, 2011

Friends and Fennel Seed


Last Sunday morning I had breakfast with my dear friend, Brynn, and her sweet husband, Tom. Brynn and I went to college together and were in the same sorority. Now she lives an hour and half away so I get to see her occasionally. Last weekend, Anthony and I were at a retreat and Brynn babysat my darling dogs (for that I am forever grateful). I'm afraid my ill-behaved pets may have had a bad influence on her new puppy, because she says that Waffles thinks he's a "wild dog" now.

Now, something you should know about Brynn: she has impeccable taste. She served me french-press coffee out of her beautiful blue china tea cups and toasted dill bread that she made herself.

Coffee, blue china, dill bread, and beloved friends.... You probably have stuff like that in Heaven.

I loved the bread so much that I came home and made it the next day. I substituted the dill seed for fennel seed to give it a little international flare. I also used half whole-wheat flour and half all-purpose flour, because I'm a health freak. The bread is kept moist by creamy, delicious cottage cheese and is a bit of a time commitment, as most good breads are. Let me tell you, it is well-worth the wait.

It's the Pioneer Woman's recipe. You can find it here. Make it and share with friends that you love and miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment