Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Homemade Yogurt

Yes. You read correctly: homemade yogurt.  Who knew such a magical thing existed!?  I learned about this last night when I went to my precious friend Jenni's house and she and her husband made HOMEMADE YOGURT right before my very eyes.  She actually got the recipe from our other precious friend (with a new precious baby girl I might add), Emily.  So, Jenni, by way of Emily, THANK YOU for sharing this recipe with me! And Emily- thank you for being in the loop on cool stuff like this! 

Jenni did the math for me- and while I can't reiterate the numbers for you (although Jenni or Emily please feel free to do so in the "comments"), it saves A LOT of money to make your own yogurt as opposed to buying the fancy Greek yogurt that everyone loves (which is why I strain my yogurt- but still, I end up with only HALF of what I bought by the time all the juices drain out of the yogurt!)

So, here's what you do (this is Jenni's recipe- this is not an original- although I wish I could take credit for such an incredible invention!)

  • ·         Take a medium-sized saucepan and fill with 8 cups of room-temperature milk (ours isn’t always room-temp and it still turns out).
  • ·         Place the medium-sized pan inside a large saucepan and fill the large pan with water up to the level of the milk.
  • ·         Double boil the milk until it reaches 190 degrees F, stirring frequently
  • ·         While the milk heats up, create an ice bath in the sink (about the same level as the milk in the saucepan).
  • ·         Once the milk reaches 190 degrees, place the saucepan in the ice bath and let cool until it is 110 degrees.
  • ·         While the milk cools, preheat oven to warm and turn on the light.
  • ·         Gently whisk in 1-2 tablespoons of plain yogurt (from the store or a previous batch) and cover.
  • ·         Put a towel over the saucepan cover and place in the oven. Turn the oven off!
  • ·         Let sit overnight, for up to twelve hours.
  • ·         To make your yogurt greek, strain (use a coffee filter and colander) for about 1-2 hours.
  • ·         Freeze liquid whey to use in smoothies and sauces.

That's it!  We're all about saving the $- here's one GREAT way to do it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment