Thursday, September 8, 2011

French Onion Soup

Hi friends, Meredith here (some people ask us whose posts are whose but can't you tell our talking in our writing???).  Last night I made Anne Burrell's french onion soup. This is a recipe that I have not EVER tried before but I know that I absolutely adore this tantalizing soup.  It's perfect for a cold day, yet not too heavy just in case you happen to be like me who wants to make it on a semi-brisk day in early September.  This dish was so simple, relatively healthy, AND-even better- cost effective.  I already had half the stuff sitting around (the sherry, the bay leaves, the thyme, and the chicken stock) so all I really needed was onions (cheap), a baguette (on sale at Kroger- score!) and some Swiss cheese (maybe $3 but I got the Publix brand because I couldn't wait to go to the commissary otherwise it might have been a few cents cheaper).  The point is: it's cost effective, feeds a lot (I halved the recipe because I didn't need so much but the recipe says it will feed 6...maybe 7), and is hearty enough to be a main dish (ok- maybe you'll have to give your husbands 2 bowls but still, cheese, bread and soup all rolled in to one?  Yes, please.)  On the flavor scale (since we are going to start rating our tested recipes on a scale of 1-5 stars...right, Kate?), I'd give this 4.5 stars.  I might try using Cognac next time instead of Sherry, but both yield delicious results.  Oh, another reason this was such a cost effective dish was because I was using the chicken stock that I previously made with a de-boned rotisserie chicken (used for another purpose many moons ago) and all the veg I saved as I've cooked throughout the weeks.  This is one of those recipes where, because it's a lot of stock, it's best to use homemade (I know, just call me Ina flipping Garten).  If you don't have homemade, or haven't ventured there yet, that's ok! (But start soon because it really is cheaper and delicious!)  So, onto how to make this delicious soup:

You'll need the following:
  • Extra-virgin olive oil
  • 8 large onions, thinly sliced from stem to root end
  • Kosher salt
  • 6 ounces dry sherry (or cognac)
  • 4 bay leaves
  • 1 bundle thyme
  • 2 quarts chicken stock
  • 12 thin slices baguette
  • 1/2 pound Gruyere, grated (I used plain ole Swiss...same thing)
  • 1/2 bunch chopped chives (I didn't use)
Directions:
  • Slice your onions "root to end" as Anne says, and add them to a deep pot that's been coated with olive oil over medium heat

  • cook COVERED for 15-20 minutes with a good pinch of salt (this sweats 'em out REAL good)
  •  after 20 minutes, you'll open the lid to find soft onions that have let out a lot of water 
  • now, this is where I must quote Chef Anne because she's genius:
"Once the onions have gotten very soft and let off a lot of water, remove the lid and let the onions cook looooow and sloooooooooow. That's right low and slow to really develop their rich brown color and sweet flavor. There is no shortcut or rush for this, DO NOT TRY! Caramelized onions take a long time, about an hour, accept it and move on."
  • I love her.
  • When the onions are at the stage below, add your sherry (or whatever alcohol), your bay leaves, and your thyme


  • let your sherry/cognac reduce by half, then add your chicken stock
  • let this simmer for ONE HOUR.  Anne says you'll potentially need to add a lot of salt because caramelized onions need a lot, but do this according to your taste
  • now for the really good stuff.  grill or toast some baguettes:
  • my oven was at 400 degrees. I toasted them for about 7 minutes.
  • now, ladle your soup into an oven-safe bowl, then top with your baguettes and sliced cheese like so:

  • stick this pretty little thing in the oven until it's bubbly and slightly brown and baked on top
  • look at how pretty our girl is!  AND BOY WAS SHE GOOD!!!!  As a matter of fact, I brought some to school as leftovers and I let my friend (Hi Melissa!) try some because she was skeptical...she liked it so much that when I left for a second, she snuck TWO MORE BITES! Next time I am going to use cognac, however.  I just like the bite it has :)  But however you make it, please do!  Affordable and delicious! 




1 comment:

  1. YUMMMMMMMY!!!! This made me crave the French Onion soup from Panera in the bread bowl. Mmm, I'm going to try this soon. I seriously LOL'd at this post Ina flipping Garten..lol

    ReplyDelete