Thursday, September 22, 2011

a bit of a cooking stand still

Friends, I feel like I have abandoned this poor blog!  Kate, thank God for you keeping it up!

School is a touch overwhelming right now, and apparently that sense of being overwhelmed manifested itself into my cooking.  I had my camera out, I bought my ingredients, and I was ready to make one of the Food Network recipes- Tyler Florence's "gnocchi with peas, prosciutto, and lemon ricotta."  Delightful sounding, right?  Well, I follow the recipe (even homemade my ricotta, people!), and I get to the part where it says "refrigerate gnocchi over night."  Now I want you to know that this frustrated me to no end 1) because I had spent the last hour and half (of precious time- I don't just have all day to cook anymore- school work awaits) of my life trying to not "over work the dough" and "add enough flour" to make this beautiful homemade gnocchi, and 2) well, obviously, I was hungry.  So, I stick my stupid (yet precious because they were homemade) gnocchi's in the fridge to "set" (or whatever they had to do) trying to think "well, at least you can put dinner together in a snap tomorrow night."  Well, that would be true IF THE GNOCCHI HAD NOT EVAPORATED IN THE BOILING WATER!!!!!  Grrrrr I was so angry.  I slaved away and bought groceries for POTATO WATER??  So, I ran to the commissary and grabbed some pre-made gnocchi and finished the recipe, ate it, and really, besides showing you how to make gnocchi (if I would have been successul), it was not that impressive.  Interesting, yes, but delicious....I don't know.  It wasn't my fav. Tyler Florence recipe.  I am sure that if he made it for me, I'd lick my plate clean, but truthfully it just didn't do it for me.  But, because that's where my grocery money went to this week, I've got to eat the leftovers of it and enjoy it.  It's not THAT bad, it just doesn't excite me.  Overall, a 2/5 stars.  wah wah.

Next time we meet, I'll have hopefully cooked something delicious!!

1 comment: