Thursday, August 4, 2011

Summer Produce

So I'm supposed to be blogging about the fish tacos that Meredith and I made at the beach last week. But today, I'm not inspired by fish tacos. I'm inspired by Texas peaches.

One thing I hate about Texas summers: unbearable heat that makes you sweat even at 8pm.

One of many things that I love about Texas summers: the produce.



There just isn't anything like it. I barely even eat fresh cucumber and tomato in the winter because it's all grainy and yucky and doesn't even compare to the glory that is a summer cucumber or tomato. Or a peach, for that matter.

Peaches are at their peak right now and I am currently dying of happiness. Here's a picture of what I just ate:

I don't know if you can tell, but the juices are literally dripping down my hand. Have any of you ever seen or read James and the Giant Peach? There is some pretty incredible word artistry during the description of peaches in that book that I am not even going to attempt to recreate. Just suffice it to say that a perfect, juicy, golden peach is heaven in your mouth.



(By the way, James and the Giant Peach is a great book and even if you're a grown up, you should read it. I can't wait until I have kids so I can re-read all these wonderful classics with them.)



Also, Meredith and I have been drinking a lot of these "Naked" smoothies recently. Sometimes when the produce is so good and I'm eating so much of it, I forget that my body also needs protein. I got a good little protein boost from this mango smoothie yesterday. The whole "Naked" line is delicious, "all natural", and soo goood for you. What more could you ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment