Sunday, December 11, 2011

Roasted Brussel Sprouts: Fear Not!


People. Have we talked about this?

Sometimes I forget what I share with you and what I just think about sharing with you.

Brussel spouts. I know you think you hate them. Apparently it's like the cool thing to hate brussel sprouts or something. Stop it. Stop it now.

When December roles around I go into seasonal vegetable depression. During the fall I freak out and obsess over autumn vegetables. From September to November I make squash soups and pumpkin breads and root vegetable purees. Following the Thanksgiving cooking frenzy full of such things, though, I come down with a terrible case of flavor fatigue. In times like this I can't stand to look at one more dad-gum acorn squash. No more! I can't eat any more squash! I miss the fresh, bright flavors of spring and summer. My body tells me that it has had its fill of beta-carotene and demands something GREEN.

Enter the pariah brussel spout. It's green, it's in season during the winter, and it has a unique flavor that offers some solace from all the worn out fall veggies. Alex Guarnaschelli (Food Network star and hopeful Iron Chef-to-be) says that if you have had a brussel sprout and hated it, then you had a brussel spout that was cooked incorrectly. When boiled, these little morsels of delight come out bitter, ugly, and, well, not so delightful.

But when roasted, they become crunchy, flavorful, and some-what sweet with a rich, meaty texture.

Making them is as easy as pie, too. (By the way...where did that saying come from? Pie is NOT easy.)

Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees. Wash and trim your brussel spouts. Cut them in half. Put them on a baking sheet. Drizzle them with olive oil. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper. (Add shallots and garlic if you're feeling fancy). Roast the little babies for 20-30 minutes until golden brown. When they are just on the brink of being burned, but aren't quite burned yet... they are done.

Save yourself from a sad winter existence and re-try the brussel sprout. Just because it has a bad rap doesn't mean that it actually tastes bad...just that some people are bad cooks.

1 comment:

  1. I never knew what to do with them..trying this!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete