Sunday, July 3, 2011

Farm Fresh Food

So my mom has all these weird friends.

Weird... but cool... and kind of crazy... but cool. I don't know, she attracts weird/crazy/cool people. Probably because she's all in to yoga now and yoga people are kind of crazy. And weird.

I've been home in East Texas this weekend for the 4th of July. For those of you who aren't from East Texas, let me just tell you, it's a special place. We take the 4th of July very seriously in these parts. I digress.

So Anthony and I get to Tyler Thursday night and my mom informs me that she wants me to come with her and one of her weird/crazy/cool friends to this organic farm the following morning.

Organic farm? In East Texas? Seriously?

Obviously I'm down. On the way out to the farm I chatted with my mom's friend, Katie, about yoga and her misspent youth and the new "high fat" diet she's on. She eats lard. And butter. And she sucks the marrow out of beef bones. And she says it's good for you. Fascinating. I'm not sold... but I am fascinated. I mean, she's a pilates instructor, so surely she knows what she's talking about, right? Here are some pictures of this awesome farm that we ended up at.




Completely organic. All these beautiful vegetables are grown without the aid of any chemicals.


The other day I saw a recipe for poached pears soaked in red wine. I want to make that.


Heirloom tomatoes.


I did not photoshop this picture. These eggs really are pastel colored. Like, they came out of the chicken like that.


This is my cute yoga-momma sorting through all the bounty.


This is the lunch we made with all the vegetables when we got home. Very simple. Very elegant. Sliced heirloom tomato. Goat's milk cheese. Fresh cucumber. Basil from the garden. All drizzled with a little red wine vinegar and topped off with some sea salt. Served with naan and hummus. Delightful.


To learn more about the farm I visited, click here.


(Katie, if you read this, I hope you aren't offended. You know you're weird/crazy/cool. And you know I luv ya. And I want to hear more stories about your misspent youth.)

1 comment:

  1. ahhh. the lovely, lovely katie. moon yah's incredible farm. tyler is secretly chock-a-block full of weird/crazy/cool people - they're the ones who keep this place sane, and i thank god daily for them.

    i am witness to the fact that those eggs are truly that beautiful, and those pears truly that roly-poly - they are the fattest happiest pears i've ever seen. and happy food = happy bellies.

    so fun to find your blog. i'll be back.

    ReplyDelete