Sunday, March 27, 2011

Hangover Cure



So Anthony and I have these two friends that went on a date to a strawberry farm. Cutest. Date. Ever. Right? After they frolicked in the fields like the Von Trap children, we all went back to Boheme to partake in some more of the delicious sangria I mentioned before. Needless to say, I woke up this morning with a horrific headache. Whoops. (I only had two!)

The ONLY thing that sounded good was a smoothie, which Meredith showed me how to make over spring break. Luckily, our friends shared the wealth of their harvest and had given us a bundle of beautiful fresh strawberries. I always have plain, organic yogurt on hand so, with these ingredients, I was good to go. After I dragged myself off the couch and out of my pathetic heap of self-pity, I combined the strawberries and yogurt with some flax seed, honey, and ice cubes in a blender until smooth. It was just the thing.

I wish I had had some Clementine oranges or left over limes to add… that would have been so delicious. Also, Meredith uses frozen fruit so she doesn’t have to add ice. I wish I could give you exact measurements, like “1 cup of yogurt” or whatever, but that’s just not the way I cook. I eye-ball it. Use however much looks good to you :)

Now let’s talk about flax seed. It rocks. Meredith, I have to give you all the credit for this one, too. You introduced me to it. Flax seed has little to no taste, adds some crunch, and is packed full of stuff that is super good for you. It is full of fiber, calcium, vitamin E, and Omega-3 fatty acids. Apparently in the 8th century, King Charlemagne passed laws requiring his subjects to consume flax seed because he believed so strongly in its health benefits. It’s not that expensive and you can add to so many things for a little nutrition boost! (I put it in some homemade granola the other day). Oh, p.s., I got all my information from webmd.com… I don’t actually know all that stuff.

(Note: Betsy, if you are reading this, please don’t think I’m a bad big sister who is a negative influence on your adolescent development. Don’t drink alcohol until you’re legal, learn your limits, and be smart… which you are so I’m not worried.)

3 comments:

  1. i commented earlier! why didn't it work!!! i said THIS IS SOOOO FUNNY!!! and you should know that your body can't handle 2 sangrias because my body (bigger than yours) can hardly handle one margarita!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why these stupid comments are so difficult. It's driving me crazy.

    ReplyDelete